Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Monday, January 17, 2011

Bloody Telstra! (And the same goes for our Federal Opposition.)

Our wireless modem connection suddenly and without warning cuts out late on 4th January. I phone Technical Support. The technician can’t solve it and says he will alert the senior technicians and it will take ‘two days maximum’ to fix the problem. A senior technician phones me next day and says they are still investigating and please keep the phone lines open so they can let me know the outcome. On the 8th (three days later) I have still heard nothing, so I phone to see what’s happening. I’m told it is still under investigation and they have to send technicians to the region; five days maximum and please keep the lines open. I phone back on the 14th, i.e. six days later. Then I am told that the problem was resolved on the 8th; they found that it was not a fault in the network so I must have a faulty modem. Nice of them to let me know! The guy I’m talking to does some checks and finds that my modem is indeed faulty. They will replace it within three business days, i.e. by the 19th. Had we been informed on the 8th, we could have had the new modem by now.

I’m annoyed that, in a time of disastrous flooding nearby, when family and friends interstate and overseas wanted reassurance of our safety, we were left off the internet longer than necessary and asked to keep phone lines clear (so when people did phone, we were short with them).

Furthermore, this is the second faulty modem we’ve had within 12 months. What sort of crap are they supplying?

Unfortunately we are locked into a contract for another 12 months and it would cost too much to get out of it now. I was under the impression we had a very limited choice of servers here as we can’t get ADSL and must opt for wireless/ Telstra offered the best deal of those I investigated. This best is not very good in practice — the signal strength is so weak that our connection is sometimes as slow as dial-up. I have since learnt the choice is not so limited as I’d thought, but I won’t be able to take advantage of that for some time yet.

Of course, I wouldn’t have been in this pickle if we had cable. Will the Opposition PLEASE get out of the way and stop obstructing the roll-out of the National Broadband Network to rural areas?!

1 comment:

  1. I can't bear these contracts that tie us into things. We had to pay a significant fine to our last supplier for terminating the contract before its expiry, which we did because we needed to move house and were taking over an existing phone line. The problem with all these things is that they are entirely impersonal... and the one-size-fits-all model in fact doesn't fit anyone. Grr!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.