Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Friday, August 05, 2011

Dreaming of Cats

I dreamed of losing my black cat, Levi. We were out in a car; he was on my lap, not in a carry-cage, and when we opened the door he jumped and ran. I lost sight of him at once but followed through back lanes the way he went.

I came to a yard behind a wire fence. It was full of cats. Some of them looked sick.  I tried to open the gate. It was wired up, but started to move slowly. Some of the cats surged forward, and I thought I mustn’t let them get out, so I shoved the gate back into place.

An old man came out into the yard. He was fat and wore a robe or an old-fashioned shepherd’s smock. His thin white hair was long and loose, standing out from his head. He let me in warily. I thought I’d found Levi in a back room, but it wasn’t him. Thank goodness! The cat I found had an open wound on its shoulder.

I looked through many rooms. Finally I saw him! ‘Are you sure?’ asked someone who was searching with me. ‘Of course,’ I said. ‘Only Levi has those eyes.’ From those gold eyes flashing green, Levi gave me a knowing, loving look.

He jumped up and ran again, disappeared again, not in fear but with an air of certainty. This time I knew he would head for home. I was concerned because home was a long way from where we were, but I felt sure he would make it. I pictured myself opening the door to him one day, finding him on the step, tired and a bit battered, but happy.


I dreamed of my tortoiseshell cat, Freya. We were curled up together against a wall in an alleyway, very comfortable, half asleep. I wakened to a rainbow lorikeet fluttering right up close to me, almost in my arms. It wouldn’t stop. Freya woke too and looked mildly curious, but I thought her natural instincts would rouse at any minute. I picked up the lorikeet. It let me, and snuggled in. I took it around the corner and released it on to the ground, sending it urgent telepathic messages that cats don’t make good friends for birds, and to stay away from Freya.

I went back to Freya, and realised that the mass of soft grey fur was only partly her. There was also a strange grey dog cuddled up to her. I marvelled that they were so trusting of each other. Evidently we had been sleeping together, all three, and I hadn’t noticed.

The dog was a friendly fellow, medium sized and short nosed, with a curly tail and bushy fur. It was plain that he had decided to adopt us, and that Freya had adopted him right back. I was glad, and reached down to scratch behind his ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.