Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Busy (Old) Dreams

Cross-posted from LiveJournal


Many of the entries in my old handwritten journal that I'm transcribing are recorded dreams. I'm astonished at how long, vivid and detailed these entries are. I certainly don't have that degree of dream recall nowadays.

They're not interesting enough to others to post publicly – full of mundane events, and people no-one would know (many of whom I don't remember either by now) – but they are interesting to me, to observe where I was then.

It was January 1987. My youngest had left for the USA to be an exchange student. His brother was on vacation after his first year of University. Their father was often away interstate for a business venture. Our old dog was getting sick.

What was I doing? Was that the year Mal Morgan took a break from presenting the poetry nights at La Mama Theatre and handed it over to me for a while? Maybe. I forget. No, I think I must have left the Poets Union by then, so the La Mama stint was probably earlier. I know I was publishing books, both as part of the Pariah Press Cooperative and under my own imprint, Abalone Press. I wasn't working as a librarian any more but I was running writers' groups and doing some editing.

I am wondering what in my life could account for the very busy dreams I was having, in which there were always lots of people, lots of activity, and things going wrong or threatening to. (Silly things, like losing travel tickets or not having the correct clothes for some occasion.) I guess it's true to say I had been very busy for many years.

Apart from the fact that they were so busy, I can't interpret the dreams. Perhaps they will become clearer when I come to more of the non-dream entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.