Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Saturday, January 10, 2015

What I Learned from Week One

... of the Finding Your Way Home course.

We are asked to journal about this.

One thing I have learned is that having a special spot for writing, as we are invited to find, doesn't work for me. Writing happens wherever I am. Often that is at the computer. Often it is somewhere else with iPad — anywhere else, from bedroom to dining-room to park to chiropractor's waiting room.

I have also learned that I am definitely now one who writes on to a screen instead of with paper and pen. Who woulda thought it, a few years ago? It's just a preference, but a surprising one. I can't bring myself to go back to a paper notebook, even for the sake of this course, even as an exercise. Not that we have been asked to; it's not a requirement. But it seems kinda assumed, probably unconsciously. I'm sure I am still in the minority among 'creative' writers.

And I have not so much learned as confirmed that working on poetry takes precedence over pretty much anything else, including 'mindful writing'. Sometimes — often — I write my 'small stones' in verse, but I still give precedence to other poems which are not doing double duty as exercises in mindfulness.

Though, I suppose, all poems require a degree of mindfulness....

7 comments:

  1. I am with you on your first two lessons. Have iPad, will write wherever/whenever the words come. I really want to get back to writing small stones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good practice. That's why I decided to give myself the course, to get back into the way of it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an exciting course. :) I still keep a written diary when I'm away but otherwise everything is done on my laptop. You're right- who'd have thought? Enjoy it, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much exciting as peace-inducing, which is what I wanted.

      Delete
  3. it's all what you are used to- what ever works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comments from a LiveJournal posting of this:

    metahara
    You're not alone. I used to keep paper journals with drawings and so much energy the pages curled. Now, my handwriting is uncomfortable and illegible. There is no flow to handwriting on paper anymore.

    snakypoet
    My handwriting has long been illegible too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.