Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Using the Unfriend Option

Migrated from LiveJournal

Oh, the relief! I just unfriended a facebook friend / real life acquaintance (who, fortunately, I’m unlikely to encounter again, as he doesn’t live near).  Sweet, funny guy in person, when we met; but on fb, oh what a chip on the shoulder!

Having a discussion or even a difference of opinion is one thing, but being argumentative for the sake of it — well, after five years of attempting to meet it with reason, humour and tolerance, I just got sick of it.

He didn't even argue intelligently. He leapt in to take issue so hastily that he quite often got the wrong end of the stick, arguing against things I wasn't even saying. Or he would argue FOR positions that were patently ludicrous. He would take on my friends too, in comments. He waxed quite insulting at times.

Why did I put up with him so long? I can recognise an inferiority complex when I see one, and felt compassion. I still do, but I also see that being nice to him and/or putting up with him didn't help. He just kept right on being an aggressive dickhead. If anything, he got worse over the years.

As the grown-ups used to say when I was a kid — good riddance to bad rubbish.


Comments left on LJ:

bttrflyscar
you were smart to do that. I dated a guy like that once. for way too long.
snakypoet 
As they say, better late than never. But we make allowances, don't we? We try to see the best, and do the right thing. Gut instinct would be a better guide!

Although this fb friendship lasted five years, there were often long gaps between his comments. It's just that when they happened they were ALWAYS as I describe above, and now I can't believe I put up with it so long.

Never mind, I'm sure we have both learned our lessons, even if it did take us a while.
metahara.
Ah the modern world. Yes, life is too short and wide to sit close to stinky rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.