Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Going, going, gone

Migrated from LiveJournal / Dreamwidth 


I just finished writing a poem, this morning, about a dear friend who has gradually been dying over the last few months, and probably has little time left now – a poem I won't be making public just yet, but they come of their own volition, when they insist on being written.

Perhaps it was good timing, as I might well be feeling too stunned and devastated now, and for some time to come, to write such a poem. This afternoon I got the very unexpected news that another, even dearer friend passed away peacefully this morning in her bedroom. Her son, who lived with her, posted the news on her facebook page.

One thing that rocks me is that she was two years younger than me.

Another is that I last saw her only five days ago. I was leaving the fish'n'chip shop in her town (where I had a couple of appointments) just as she sat down in the café next door. So instead of getting in my car straight away, I went over and had a chat. We had been in touch by email and Messenger anyway, but this was the first time we'd seen each other in person for a couple of months. She said she had not been very well, but it wasn't particularly obvious. I'd never have expected this!


We tentatively arranged to organise another of our occasional lunches with other members of the old WordsFlow writers' group (where we met ten years ago) as soon as the extreme weather settles down a bit.

She was a wonderful writer, with the gift of being funny and serious at the same time. And she was a great person: warm and kind, sensible and sensitive, and never afraid – in writing or in person – to "tell it like it is".


1 comment:

  1. 2 comments cross-posted from a different platform:

    asakiyume
    Those are good final words.

    I remember seeing a guy from my church on a bench outside a dispensary, seeing him to notice, though I can't recall now if I waved hello in passing (I'd like to think yes? But I have no memory one way or another)... and only a few days later hearing he had passed away.

    snakypoet
    Thank you. Yes, it's a shock. I think now she may have had an inkling, because of those final words and the fact I have now learned she told a mutual friend a couple of days later how much she valued her friendship and said "I love you" to her too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.