Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Vicarious Adolescence

Migrated from LiveJournal / Dreamwidth 


I just rented 'Love, Simon' from BigPond Movies. The time limit for watching was 48 hours. I watched it three times, I loved it so much.

Why? It's not great art or anything. As everyone probably knows by now, it's a sweet love story about gay teenage boys coming out. It's beautifully handled and well acted, but still. Three times in 48 hours seems a bit excessive even to me. I'm a 78-year-old straight woman; what was so interesting? (To be fair, if I'd bought it and wasn't going to lose access to it any minute, I might not have watched it again quite so soon.)

It's true that I've been good friends with a number of gay men, two of whom were schoolboys when the friendships began. But so I have with gay women (though that's not relevant to this movie). And with straight men and straight women. I just happen to have friendships with all kinds of people, of all different ages.

Then it dawns on me. It's the 'young adult' thing. I read young adult books all the time; it's one of my favourite genres. I loved the movie 'The Breakfast Club', made when I was well and truly adult myself – loved it so much that I bought it years ago and re-watch it from time to time.

I never really questioned it before. We don't question what we enjoy; why should we? But now that I am questioning, I realise I didn't really have much of a teenage. Australian High School students of my era didn't, compared with American ones in the age of cell phones and laptops, but in my case there was also the parents' divorce, the uprooting to a different part of the country during school term, the stepmother from Hell, going back to my old home in school holidays when old friends were often away.... 

Then I went to University, on a Commonwealth Scholarship, with a living allowance which was pretty much a pittance. I became too busy studying, and too poor compared with kids who were working, to be going out and having fun. Because I had finished my schooling in a different State from the one I grew up in, I went to a University where I knew no-one instead of the one where all my old school friends went, so I didn't even have that cameraderie. And I was a shy girl to start with, let alone traumatised by two years of the Mad Stepmother's rule. I did make new friends eventually; I did eventually manage some sort of a social life– but I felt that I missed out on a normal adolescence.

My Firstborn, who also went straight from school to University, but didn't have all that other stuff that happened to me, felt that just by being a student he missed out on his teenager-hood. So he decided to have it in his late twenties, and did mad things like dyeing his hair and some wild partying. In my own time I didn't even do that. In my late twenties I was busy having him and his brother, in what was already my second marriage. I did have a bit of fun in my early twenties I must admit, but the young and single phase didn't last very long.

So it seems I'm living a vicarious adolescence. But as it's relatively harmless and quite enjoyable, I guess I won't worry.

1 comment:

  1. 4 comments cross-posted from a different platform:

    Date: 2018-08-19 11:26 pm (UTC)
    satyapriya: Macchu Picchu 2009
    I love reading YA, and have no shame in that. My own teen years were fairly cruddy, and I responded by sitting in a darkened room at night, with the blind up, watching the sky, and wishing Scotty would beam me up.
    I went straight from high school to uni, and scored my first boyfriend at the end of my first year at uni. Reader, I married him. So, I didn't have too much of a teen-hood until my 30's, and then again in my late 40's.
    I have not finished with dyeing my hair wild colours, and being a ratbag. In fact, ratbaggery is so much a part of me that I don't think it can be confined to a time, or age.

    Date: 2018-08-20 03:04 am (UTC)
    snakypoet:
    Oh yes, ratbaggery rules! Only way to be, really.

    That was one of the great things about the early Poets Union. We proudly owned ourselves as being the ratbag poets. Most of us have continued to be.

    Date: 2018-08-27 12:56 am (UTC)
    gangrel_pri:
    I really enjoyed the movie. The book was also quite interesting, although the plots were mildly divergent between sources.

    But ultimately, I have to cheer for media that suggests that happy endings for gay teenagers are possible.

    Date: 2018-08-27 04:09 am (UTC)
    snakypoet:
    I sought out the book too, after seeing the movie, and enjoyed it as well. I can see why the movie needed to make things a tad more dramatic for that different medium. I probably preferred the book version slightly more, but didn't find anything wrong with the movie whilst watching with no basis of comparison.

    I then went on to read the sequel, plus another of her novels set in the same 'world'. I liked in them all not only that gay teenagers can have happy endings, but that gay attractions are treated as a perfectly normal variation (albeit acknowledging that much prejudice still exists). I think they have a part to play in changing things for the better, particularly as the Simon book was apparently very popular. And the movie, reaching an even wider audience, hopefully even more so.

    Maybe not 'great art', as I said; but the books are pretty respectable in literary terms – being published, I note, by Penguin.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.