Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Inevitable Mystery

Reposted from the Live Journal Wicapis' Whispers

I'm reminded of a dear teacher I had in high school who refused to go on to the next poem in our antiquated textbook until we had all agreed on the same interpretive vision of each poem -- her vision.

Wearily we raised our hands. Yes, yes, that poet was just about to jump off a cliff. Onward!

If we can offer each other a cognizance of mystery through the poems we share, isn't that a greater gift?

Won't a sense of inevitable mystery underpinning our intricate lives serve us better than the notion that we will each be given a neat set of blanks to fill in -- always?


– an excerpt from Lights in the Windows by Naomi Shihab Nye

2 comments:

  1. I've read this before - did you post it in another context somewhere?

    One of my favourite things at school(which I expected neither to be doing in the first place nor to actually enjoy), is leading art sessions. I don't know the faintest thing about art and I love stumbling through the interpretation of a painting with the kids, listening to their ideas and igniting my own. I love how excited they get and how excited I get with them... I can't imagine wanting us all to have the same interpretation.

    I guess some people just like to feel safe in their own opinions; they just want to know they're right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't posted this before but it wouldn't surprise me if you'd seen it. It's such a great piece, it's probably been quoted many times! But I only just came across it.

    Your art sessions sound like fun for all concerned!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.