Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Blogging Without Obligation

Clicking on the sweet logo at the top of the page, just under the Aussie Bloggers badge, will take you to this post on the blog down the rabbit hole, which I also reproduce here because I think it's SOOOO good (and the author gives permission). If you'd like to use the logo too, or one of the variants on offer, you'll need to go to the original post, so do click the logo. Otherwise, read on ...

*****************************************************************************************

After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone's blog starting with "I'm sorry I haven't posted in awhile," I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again ... and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation.


If you feel the same way feel free to grab the logo, make a logo or whatever you would like to do!


I release all the logos, thoughts and words mentioned here about this concept into the public domain. Take the idea and run with it ... or walk away. It is all good.

  • Because you shouldn't have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill.
  • Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine.
  • Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing.
  • Because sometimes less is more.
  • Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog.
  • Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat. link and comment numbers on your tombstone.
  • Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be "bloggable".
  • Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won't be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time ...
- By Tiffini Elektra X


3 comments:

  1. I like this! I never used to understand Dave (who was blogging before I was) when he'd say he needed to post because he hadn't done for ages. When I started blogging myself, I quickly started to empathise. Now, the tables have turned and Dave has too many other commitments to blog as much as he used to. I, on the other hand, am obsessed and from time to time, I do feel obliged... but I think that's more to hang on to my readers than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Andrew also blogs seldom, and spends little time reading other people's blogs, let alone commenting, consequently has few readers.

    I got obsessed too for a while, but now am busier and post a little less often. But basically I do it because I like to. I would also like to be read, mind you, so I think there's a happy medium – but if real life intervenes, let's enjoy the interventions! (Or at least deal with them, if they're not the enjoyable kind.)

    As for your blogs, my dear, as you're amongst my favourite reads, I am happy when I see new posts from you. But I would hate to put you under obligation, and you won't lose me if I sometimes have to wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed!

    And thank you - that's very nice to hear. I won't feel obliged on your account!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.