Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Friday, October 31, 2008

Apologies to my Christian friends

I had occasion to post the following on MySpace this morning. I am copying it here in case it also applies to readers of this blog.


**************************************

I'm sad and chastened to receive this message from a treasured friend:

'Rosemary

I can no longer continue friendship with you..

Your Christian Masturbation blog insults my beliefs.

Not all people who call themselves Christian really are, but I am, and making fun of a Christian group's stupidity, misrepresents the faith to people who don't know the difference.'

And she has blocked me from further contact. I'm sad about this because she's a beautiful and gracious person, and I just didn't think. I know she would have been saddened by this too, and did not do it lightly.

And I have other treasured Christian friends here, whom I truly hope I haven't offended beyond hope of repair.

We Pagans are so often villified in ignorant and malicious ways by so-called Christians that it's too, too tempting sometimes to return the favour, though hopefully with less rancour. At least the thing I was making fun of did come from people claiming to speak on behalf of Christians, whereas some of the things said about us have less basis in fact. But after all, that's no excuse. In any case, my friend was certainly not one to do that!

There are indeed many groups of Christians as there are many shades of Paganism. Most Pagans have enough common beliefs and values to regard ourselves as family, but I wouldn't necessarily want to be identified with some few more extreme groups. I can see my ex-friend's point!

And so I apologise unreservedly to any whom I may have offended. I just thought to share a laugh at something absurd, and thought my Christian friends broadminded enough to laugh with me. But indeed it's truer to say I was not being thoughtful.

I HAVE now thought about removing the offending blog, which was my first impulse. But it's been up a while, people have seen it and reacted however they did. Done is done and I take responsibility and live with the consequences.

This will give me pause in the future, however! The Golden Rule of 'Do as you would be done by' applies to all of us, whatever our spiritual preferences, and I was remiss.

4 comments:

  1. It's very sad indeed to lose a friend in this way and it is lovely of you to post an apology blog. For what it's worth though, I have reread your original post, and I can't see that you were making fun of Christians at all, but only of the advertisement, which happened to be a Christian one (I certainly don't think you should un-post this; apart from anything else, I think it would imply that you were more in the wrong than you are). People are very sensitive about religion and it is very easy to offend even when you don't mean to. While it is sad that your friend was this offended, I think it is also very sad that she could not have been more forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny.

    Yes, it would have been funny no matter what religion was named - the notion that there could be a proper religious way to masturbate! I have a fondness for absurdity, and this qualified in my book.

    It seems I have not offended any of my other Christian friends, for which I'm truly grateful. Some of them say they thought the item was funny too.

    I'm still saddened, but I am also glad about the good friends I still have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed something good.

    as BG Shaw says tho. Don't do unto others as you'd have them do unto you; their tastes may be different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Splutter.* (LOL + suprise.)

    OK Pearl, I'll remember that good advice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.