Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Wednesday, June 01, 2022

Writing the Story of Your Life, by Carmel Bird

Carmel Bird is an Australian writer of novels, short stories and essays. She has written books on the art of writing, and has edited anthologies of essays and stories. In 2016, she was awarded the Patrick White Literary Award.     

Wikipedia.





This book, written in 2010, I only recently discovered. Glad I did! I’d been flirting with the idea of a memoir for years, always deciding against. But Carmel writes beautifully, and we have a long history….


We knew each other as children, and again in our forties. 


I was born in 1939, she in 1940. We grew up in Launceston, Tasmania, in the same neighbourhood. We didn’t play together often – her place was around the corner and up a hill from mine, a longish walk for a youngster. But our families were acquainted. We remember attending each other’s birthday parties when we were in primary school.  


We both had elocution lessons, and recited (other people’s) poems in The Competitions – an annual State-wide eisteddfod for music and elocution students. We were at the same school awhile too, in different classes. Then, still in our teens, circumstances took us on separate journeys, geographical and otherwise. 


We met again in eighties Melbourne, as featured writers at Montsalvat Poetry Festival, and got to know each other all over again. We almost became the close friends we weren’t as kids. But, circumstances…. We became geographically distanced once more. Now we have only slight awareness of what the other is up to – both still engaged in literary life, but in different arenas; with rare contact, friendly-but-brief.


Nevertheless, the shared childhood place and experiences, and our similar feelings about them, creates deep understanding. We are both – as she calls herself in the book – expatriates, yearning for the home we remember. (We've both occasionally revisited.) 


Though each chooses not to live there now, the yearning is real. Whenever anything's on TV about Tasmania, I’m glued to the screen. This book, full of Carmel’s childhood recollections, from her journals, awakens and satisfies that yearning. 


She offers fascinating insights about memoir, related to both fact and fiction. She makes memoir writing sound like the most seductive of pleasures! The enticing exercises, though, I didn’t (yet) do. I told myself I was reading for the lovely writing and lovely reminiscences. Yet even before I finished, I began a new memoir I know I’ll complete – not about childhood, but a later experience I’ve been blocked from writing. This book freed me.


Note: This is a longer, more detailed and personal version of my Goodreads and Amazon review.


I'm sharing this with Poets and Storytellers United at Friday Writings #30:  Beloved Books, in which I invite people to write something inspired by one of their favourite books. This part review, part memoir celebrates a new favourite of my own – and the memoir it helped free me to write is the story about prison poetry workshops which I have recently been sharing, bit by bit, with P&SU.







27 comments:

  1. Goodness...I remember elocution lessons and eisteddfods. My vowels are still rounded
    and I use to work briefly as a radio announcer on the classical music FM station. All these flash backs to the past.....You are channeling me Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'm the older; nevertheless we have clearly experienced an Australia of much the same era, or at least overlapping! (Which is nice to know.)

      I worked hard, as I got older, to lose the rounded vowels so other kids wouldn't call me stuck-up. But I still get asked if I grew up in England, because of the way I speak.

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how a book can free a person... how someone's writing in possibly different circumstances, even a different context, can positively influence our very different lives. Thank goodness for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! To both the 'how amazing' and the 'thank goodness'.

      Delete
  3. I completely understand the yearning for the home that was. I feel exactly the same about my childhood land, so much so that I often fear visiting again and having to see how much it has changed. How wonderful that her books takes you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My home town has changed very little, but some of those changes could make me weep. You are right, Carmel's books – not only this one, but also some novels set in Tassie – do take me right back to the way it was there when we were children, and so are full of nostalgia for me.

      Delete
  4. With age, our memories start to fail but our childhood ones are seared and place is so formative. My memoirs are embedded in my poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of mine are too! And eventually I think I'll be including relevant poems in the prison memoir.

      Delete
  5. Wow! this is almost magical your reunion with a childhood friend.
    Enjoyed today's wonderful prompt.

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillena. I enjoyed your response to it!

      Delete
  6. Thank you Rosemary for sharing about Carmel and your childhood memories too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool that a book so encouraging to you is by an author and peer you know personally.
    I need to start trying to write more of my history for my kids and grandkids. I've lived long enough that some of my experiences they will never experience, and I feel fortunate to have lived through those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you really must! If you need some encouragement to get you started, Carmel's book (available on Amazon) really does show how in detail, as well as being a delightful read in itself.

      Delete
  8. Rosemary, I need a book posting a model for memoir writings. I'm not sure your author find/friend has books in our library or not. I like to read books that may help first, then buy one if it 'fits'. Hopefully I could find a used one.
    We liked Tasmania, we visited a wild life refuge having many of the ones to inspect. Where else could one feed a kangaroo?
    I relate to Ken Kooser, he taught or teaches at the University of Nebraska, English, Poetry, etc. And has some very worthy credentials. I grew up and lived in Nebraska for my first 21 years but then no more. I started English at the English Composition level at the U of N for three semesters.
    ..
    Jim,
    jimmiehov6.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd be very surprised to find this book in an American library.

      I wonder if you mean Ted Kooser?

      Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to find an American author who can provide what you want.

      Delete
  9. Woot! Congrats on getting unblocked! The right book at the right time can do wonders. And it's so cool you have that connection with the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a long blockage, too, for the story I'm now writing – forty years! And suddenly it's just flowing.

      Delete
  10. I like reading the book freed you. Great! Now is the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is such a good thing to have a book that that 'unblocks' your yearnings, Rosemary! As a bonus there is a personal relationship with the author. How nice!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book that cheers you on to write what you couldn't previously is a great book indeed!

      Delete
    2. It certainly has endeared it to me!

      Delete
  12. Going through reminiscences is alluring and so also yours. Charmingly scripted write up, I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I hoped it would be entertaining in its own right; nice to get that feedback.

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.