Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Thursday, October 13, 2022

Anh and Lucien by Tony Page












Beautiful, fascinating, unique ... these are all words that occurred to me when I first heard about this book, and I reaffirm them now that I've read it. It more than lived up to my expectations.

Tony's an old friend. When I was last in Melbourne a few years ago (pre-COVID) we met for lunch, and he told me his ideas for this book. I loved the sound of those ideas, so I was excited to find out it has been published. In fact I lost track of time, and only thought to enquire this year – to discover that UWAP (University of Western Australia Publishing) produced it as a paperback in July 2020. 

I don't think I can describe it any better than the two distinguished poets who wrote the cover blurb so I'll just quote them: 

'Anh and Lucien is a compelling celebration of male desire and intimacy - and also a gripping clash of cultures and ideologies. Danger and death pervade Tony Page's sensuous and sensitive evocation of a risky love affair in an alluring, unsettled place and time, Indochina 1940. Intrigue and art, passion and espionage interweave to drive and doom the relationship between Anh, a young revolutionary, and Lucien, a disaffected French bureaucrat. Page skilfully deploys alternating dramatic monologues to increase the tension as loyalty and betrayal merge towards Lucien's final sacrifice.' -- Jan Owen

'The story of desire between two men is told with exquisite beauty and restraint using prose poems, epistolary poems, found poems and documentary poems to build from suspense a tragedy that is also a victory for humanity over small-mindedness and oppression.' -- Jennifer Harrison

Having been involved in the anti-Vietnam War protests of the late sixties, I thought I knew a bit about Vietnamese history. Now I understand rather more. Tony has obviously done his research, and presents this background in a way that involves the real lives of everyday people.

I'll be re-reading / re-exploring this lovely book.

It might be hard to get hold of by now (it's a shame that UWAP didn't run to an ebook version) but try eBay; it's listed there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.