Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Joys of Losing Weight

Delightful things people have said to me lately

Friend who brought me flowers on my birthday: ‘I can tell when I hug you that you’ve lost about four inches around your waist.’

Colleague encountered at the movies: ‘You’re looking good, Rosemary. Something’s working!’

Letitia, film director, during phone-call: ‘It really shows in the pictures from the latest filming. You’ve lost heaps!’

Conversations which amuse me –

Neighbour, in our shared driveway: ‘You’re on a diet?’
Me: ‘No.’
Neighbour: ‘Oh, are you just being careful what you eat?’
Me: 'No, not at all. I eat what I like.’

Husband, at home yesterday: ‘I can’t understand how you’re losing so much weight! You’re eating like a horse.’
Me: ‘Well you know I’m not allowed to tell you. But you live with me – you must be able to see what I’m doing.’
Husband: ‘Nothing! It’s a mystery.’

Other things I’m not doing –

Just for the record, Husband is wrong; I am of course doing something. I’m doing Letitia’s program, with the consent of my doctor. And yes, I have signed a contract not to reveal the details. You’ll all have to wait until the film is released.

However, I do have permission to tell you what I’m not doing – besides not dieting.

I’m not cutting out fat; I’m not even cutting it down.

I haven’t lowered my sugar intake. (It wasn’t all that high to start with, but I do indulge in cakes, biscuits and chocolate whenever I feel like it.)

I’m not doing any strenuous exercise.

I’m not taking any appetite suppressants, diuretics, or ‘speedy’ chemicals.

I’m not using dietary supplements.

I haven’t been hypnotised.

Pleasant surprises –

A month ago I bought some new slacks. I got them from the op shop because I knew I’d be growing out of them fairly soon. It was a lot sooner than I thought! Within a week they had gone from a perfect fit to being rather loose. By now, the waistband sags about three inches below my navel.

I fit back into the black satin pants my friend Pam gave me, which I haven’t worn for nearly two years.

Today I had to do up my bra on the second row of hooks.

(If you're desperate for clues, check Letitia's thinkin trim taut terrific website.)

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to find out what you've been doing... and try it myself! I'm totally baffled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid it'll be a few more months yet. It's a gradual program. All six of the cast are showing results already – but we weren't just a little bit overweight to start with.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.