Rosemary Nissen-Wade: Aussie poet and teacher of metaphysics – a personal view
My bestie nicknamed me SnakyPoet on her blog, and I liked it. (It began as
'the poet of the serpentine Northern Rivers' and became more and more abbreviated.)
If your comment doesn't immediately appear: Please note, I've been forced to moderate comments to discourage spam. As I live Down Under in the Southern Hemisphere, those of you Up Top might have to wait a while to see your comments appear. I may well be asleep when you read and post. Don't panic, nothing's gone wrong and you don't need to do anything – just wait. ______________________________________________________________

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thorn Birds (TV series)


I guess I'm just not a Thorn Birds person. All those decades ago when it was first published and became a best-seller, I dipped into it and very quickly decided it was boringly bad writing. I didn't bother going any further. 

Just recently a friend asked why it wasn't on Australia's list of top ten books (recently decided by poll) and enthused about its romanticism and drama. I wondered if I should reconsider; maybe I'd missed something. Then I saw it in the DVD shop and thought maybe I'd like it better on screen.

It was the old series with Richard Chamberlain and a number of other renowned actors, in a three-disc version. I watched the interminable Part 1 on the first disc. I'm not sure why I lasted so long. Even good actors couldn't redeem that material from being the most ridiculous melodrama, though Lord knows they tried. It wasn't their fault; it was the way the characters were written. I can't bear the thought of persevering through the other two discs, not even to find out the rest of the story. I can't care about those unconvincing characters. Yes, I know both book and series were incredibly popular. I guess I'm just not a Thorn Birds person.

9 comments:

  1. Rosemary, I remember the Thorn Birds craze... I was on board with the book, but not the miniseries. Funny, though, a woman saying that is like admitting she didn't like "The Bridges of Madison County," which I didn't!! Cheeky and fun post, thanks. Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I must confess I thought Bridges badly written, but I enjoyed the movie.

      Delete
  2. Dear Rosemary,

    At first, I was crestfallen to see your review of Thorn Birds (not really). I read the book when I was in high school and was deep in the throes of my own first relationship. So, of course, I lapped it up, as did all my friends when they borrowed my copy. If I read it now, I have a feeling I'm not going to judge it charitably. So I will most definitely avoid that. Thank you for the heads up. You have helped to preserve a tiny relic of the old "glory days."

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be fair, the writing in the TV series was by script writers, I suppose. Still, they would have to have used dialogue from the book, I also suppose.

      Delete
  3. P.S. I recently bought Bridges at a tag sale. I have a feeling I'm not going to love it. But I, too, enjoyed the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you might love it. :) Lots of people did, including Andrew.

      Delete
  4. I loved both book and film when they came out, but I was a teenager. I doubt I'd feel the same now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I saw TBOMC and then read the book. I thought the book was dreadful. Some things are better on screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I read the book first, persevered because Andrew had liked it so much, but thought it was pretty bad. But I did like the movie.

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after approval from blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.